VIRGINIA TECH RUNNING BACK n To say North Carolina is struggling against the run is an understatement. The Tar Heels gave up 220-plus yards in each of their last three games, putting them 113th out of 130 FBS teams in rush defense. North Carolina’s most recent opponents — Pittsburgh and Miami — averaged well over 6 yards per carry. Peoples was effective against Notre Dame, going for 64 yards, but Virginia Tech was forced into a pass-heavy attack so he only carried the ball nine times. The 5-foot-9, 222-pounder has 366 yards this season with five touchdowns. His standout performance this season was a 20-carry, 156-yard effort against Old Dominion. A similar performance on Saturday could help the Hokies get back on track. — Breakdowns by Mike Niziolek
- Dudley Award Perkins unanimous pick as state's top Division I football player
- Thanks to these Good Neighbors Fund donors through Dec. 11, 2018
- High schools: Veldman’s double-double lifts Lord Botetourt over Franklin County
- College basketball: Younger leads Presbyterian over VMI
- Wrapping up deep snow, looking ahead to a little ice, possible flooding & record-setting rain
Sign up to receive our daily newsletters and get special offers delivered right to your inbox.