The defending national champions are well-represented on the 2019 preseason All-ACC team.
Clemson, a heavy favorite to win league, had 13 players on the 27-member team as voted on by 173 members of the media credentialed for last week's ACC Kickoff. Quarterback Trevor Lawrence was voted the preseason player of the year (127 votes).
Clemson running Travis Etienne, who was the league's 2018 player of the year, finished second in the voting (24 votes), Boston College running back A.J. Dillon was third (15 votes) and Bryce Perkins was fourth (six votes).
Lawrence threw for 3,280 yards and 30 touchdowns in 11 starts for the undefeated Tigers. He's the first true freshman to lead his team to a title since 1985. Etienne ran for 1,658 yards with a league-record tying 26 touchdowns.
The only player from the Commonwealth to make named preseason All-ACC was Virginia defensive back Bryce Hall. Hall was the top vote-getter on the defensive side of the ball. Virginia Tech didn't have a player on the preseason team for a second straight year.
2019 All-ACC Preseason Football Team (Total votes in parenthesis)
- WR – Tee Higgins, Clemson (145)
- WR – Justyn Ross, Clemson (123)
- WR – Tamorrion Terry, Florida State (69)
- TE – Brevin Jordan, Miami (66)
- AP – Deon Jackson, Duke (47)
- OT – Tremayne Anchrum, Clemson (100)
- OT – Ben Petrula, Boston College (54)
- OG – John Simpson, Clemson (136)
- OG – Gage Cervenka, Clemson (45)
- C – Sean Pollard, Clemson (75)
- QB – Trevor Lawrence, Clemson (161)
- RB – Travis Etienne, Clemson (144)
- RB – AJ Dillon, Boston College (144)
- DE – Xavier Thomas, Clemson (84)
- DE – Alton Robinson, Syracuse (83)
- DT – Marvin Wilson, Florida State (105)
- DT – Nyles Pinckney, Clemson (49)
- LB – Shaquille Quarterman, Miami (118)
- LB – Isaiah Simmons, Clemson (109)
- LB – Michael Pinckney, Miami (66)
- CB – Bryce Hall, Virginia (122)
- CB – A.J. Terrell, Clemson (62)
- S – Andre Cisco, Syracuse (80)
- S – Tanner Muse, Clemson (78)
- PK – Andre Szmyt, Syracuse (88)
- P – Sterling Hofrichter, Syracuse (70)
- SP – Maurice Ffrench, Pitt (48)
- Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson – 127
- Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson – 24
- AJ Dillon, RB, Boston College – 15
- Bryce Perkins, QB, Virginia – 6
- Cam Akers, RB, Florida State – 1
Mike Niziolek is the Virginia Tech football beat writer for The Roanoke Times. Follow him on Facebook and Twitter.