WASHINGTON — A man drove up to a White House check point shortly after 11 p.m. Saturday and told a Secret Service officer that “there’s a bomb in the trunk,” authorities said.

As he was being pulled to the ground by a uniformed Secret Service officer, the man allegedly said, according to a D.C. police report, “this is a test.”

The man was taken into custody and his vehicle was searched. There was no indication that anything was found.

The police said Sean Patrick Keoughan, 29, of Roanoke was charged with false bomb threats, as well as unauthorized use of a vehicle.

According to the report, the car was reported stolen in Roanoke.

A Roanoke Times reporter visited a residence associated with an individual by that name on Sunday evening. There was no response.

The incident occurred at the vehicle check point at 15th and E Streets N.W. It does not give access to the White House grounds, but only authorized vehicles are permitted to pass.

The security incident was the second of the day at the White House.

In the earlier one, a man was spotted about 12:40 p.m. in a prohibited area on the sidewalk in front of the North Lawn of the White House, according to a D.C. police report.

The man was behind an auxiliary security barrier that stands in front of the fence that encloses the White House grounds. The auxiliary barrier is about 40 inches tall and resembles a bicycle rack.

The man behind the barrier was “yelling nonsensical statements,” a uniformed Secret Service officer said, according to the D.C. police report.

Police said Sunday night that William Bryant Rawlinson, 58, of Silver Spring, Maryland, was arrested on a charge of unlawful entry.

Two people this month have been taken into custody and accused of trying to breach White House security. The more recent event took place earlier Saturday when someone climbed over a crowd-control barrier outside the White House. After that incident, it was reported that the president was not in the White House, but had gone to Florida.

In a more serious incident on March 10, a man made it onto the White House grounds and reportedly spent 16 minutes there before being arrested.

The 15th and E Street checkpoint figured in a fatal incident in 2013. A woman who drove into that checkpoint was later shot by law enforcement officers near the U.S. Capitol.

Casey Fabris of The Roanoke Times contributed to this report.

Get the day's top stories delivered to your inbox with our email newsletter.

Recommended for you

Load comments