A half-dozen professors at schools in the region received the highest faculty award in Virginia.
The State Council of Higher Education announced Monday its 2019 recipients of its Outstanding Faculty Awards. The list of 13 award winners features educators from a number of local schools including Virginia Tech, Radford University, Roanoke College, Washington and Lee University and Virginia Military Institute.
The winners include:
- Valerie Banschbach, an environmental studies professor at Roanoke College.
- Valentina Dimitrova-Grajzl, an economics professor at VMI.
- Helen I’Anson, a biology and research science professor at Washington and Lee.
- Agida Manizade, a mathematics and statistics professor at Radford University.
- Sterling Nesbitt, a vertebrate paleontologist at Virginia Tech. Nesbitt received the award as a rising star based on early career achievement.
- Leo Piilonen, a physics professor at Virginia Tech.
The winners will be honored during a March 7 luncheon in Richmond.