The Roanoke City Market Building, a focal point of downtown, has seen many changes through its history. The market was authorized in the city's first charter of 1884, and the first building opened in 1886. That structure was replaced with one dedicated in 1922.
After a few renovations to the structure's interior over the decades, the market building underwent its most transformative indoor overhaul in 1985. That's when the historic landmark was transformed from a place to buy fresh meat and produce into a neon decorated food court with local vendors. It was inundated a few months later in the historic Flood of 1985, but was repaired and reopened.
The market building today, most recently renovated in 2011, includes restaurants on the ground floor and the Charter Hall meeting space upstairs. Vendor stalls line Market Square across across Campbell Avenue from the building and extend south down Market Street to Church Avenue.