Win tickets to see the smash hit musical Mamma Mia at the Roanoke Civic Center. Two winners will each receive four tickets!
A shelf-like structure fell on the boy Tuesday morning, the Pulaski County sheriff said. He was prounced dead at LewisGale Pulaski Hospital.
Tuesday, May 7, 2013
A 6-year-old boy died Tuesday from injuries he received while at a Dublin day care center, officials say.
Pulaski County Sheriff Jim Davis said a shelf-type structure fell on the child while he was at the center. Davis did not name the business, but according to a Pulaski County official, the incident occurred at Busy B’s Day Care Center on Lee Highway.
Emergency medical personnel and sheriff’s deputies responded to the scene and took the child to LewisGale Hospital Pulaski about 8 a.m. The child was pronounced dead shortly after 9 a.m., Davis said.
The boy was a student at Pulaski Elementary School and attended the child care center before the start of the school day, according to Davis.
A woman who answered the phone at Busy B’s Day Care Center on Tuesday afternoon declined to comment.
Busy B’s has an up-to-date license with the state, according to the Virginia Department of Social Service’s online records. According to those records, there have been 11 inspections at Busy B’s since October 2008. It s most recent inspection, in February, resulted in no violations. There were violations noted after each of the other inspections. Ten of the total inspections were unannounced visits by the state. One was prompted by a complaint, according to online records.
Some of the past violations concerned unsafe conditions or improper supervision, according to the records.
In March 2010, an inspector discovered three holes on three separate walls in the “schooler” room, according to the records. In another room, a metal baseboard was protruding because it was no longer adhered to the wall, and in the toddler room, the window was open and no screen was in place, the inspection report stated.
Other unsafe conditions were discovered on the playground throughout the inspector’s visits. A net was once found on the ground, which could pose a choking hazard, the inspector noted. On more than one visit, the inspector recorded that she found exposed pipes or rods in certain areas of the playground that could trip or injure children.
In January 2012, the Department of Social Services received a complaint about the child-staff ratio at the facility, according to the online records. The resulting inspection discovered that on Jan. 25, 2012, for approximately 15 minutes, the infant room was “out of ratio.” There were two infants and five toddlers in the infant room with one staff member, according to the records. In the infant room, there should be one staff member for every four children, according to the report.
The inspector reported the incident was an accident caused by a scheduling error and said that a staff member was on the way to the facility when called about the improper ratio. The infant room was also “out of ratio” during an October 2008 inspection because there were five children with one staff member. During that same inspection, an infant was found asleep in a crib with a bottle in his mouth, according to the online report.
According to a February 2011 inspection, there were no staff members present from 5:30 a.m. to 7 a.m. and from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. who held valid certification in CPR.
The inspection records show that the number of children in attendance ranged from 21 to 41 on the inspection days, and the number of teaching staff ranged from four to nine on those days.
In February of this year, Julia Kimbrough, who performed all 11 inspections for the state, noted that previous violations had been corrected. Kimbrough could not be immediately reached Tuesday afternoon.
Weather JournalBreather before next wintry system