Check It Out:

What are your favorite local places for shopping, pampering or entertaining? Vote now in this year's Best Of Holiday Shopping readers' choice poll.

Round Hill Elementary project running up against hefty price tags

Deputy Superintendent Curt Baker said bids for the initial phase of renovation and expansion have come in higher than expected.


by
Annie McCallum | 981-3227

Tuesday, April 23, 2013


Roanoke schools officials have hit two snags in the renovation and expansion of Round Hill Elementary School and said Tuesday that they will discuss the project at the May school board meeting.

Earlier this month Roanoke City Council members said they couldn’t afford the request for $7 million to renovate Round Hill.

City officials did, however, opt to set aside $3.5 million in the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2015, for the project in addition to the $5 million already reserved for school projects.

On Tuesday, Deputy Superintendent Curt Baker said bids for the initial phase of the project have also come in higher than expected, by more than $1 million.

Baker, who noted the project is a priority for the school system, said he will make a recommendation to the school board next month.

School system officials have said the renovation and expansion, estimated to cost about $8.8 million, is critical to easing growing pains at the school.

In the past two years the student population has doubled from about 300 students to about 600.

The growth is in part because the school gained about 150 students when Huff Lane Intermediate School shuttered in 2009 as a cost-saving measure.

The initial phase of work on Round Hill is scheduled to begin this summer and includes a new cafeteria and kitchen, a new membrane gymnasium and the relocation of the school’s playground.

The work at Round Hill is scheduled to be completed in phases, finishing in summer 2015. The first phase was expected to cost $1.8 million.

The second and third phases are each slated to cost $3.5 million. The second phase would add classroom space and parking. The third would renovate and rebuild areas of the school.

There were no details Tuesday on what recommendation might be made to officials next month.

School board Chairman David Carson said the increase in the cost of the first phase of the project hasn’t changed anything.

“That hasn’t changed a thing other than the fact we’re dealing with it,” he said.

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Weather Journal

Nice weekend, plus winter talk

28 mins ago

Your news, photos, opinions
Sign up for free daily news by email
LATEST OBITUARIES
MOST READ