Who has the best lights in town? Vote now for your favorite in our holiday lights contest.
JORDAN FIFER | The Roanoke Times
Firefighters arrived at the house in the 2500 block of Hanover Avenue about 6 a.m. and took about 20 minutes to contain the fire, Roanoke Fire-EMS Capt. Todd Stone said.
Wednesday, October 30, 2013
Fire officials say a working smoke detector may have saved the lives of two adults following an early morning fire Tuesday in northwest Roanoke.
The blaze heavily damaged a house and sent one person to the hospital, but officials said it could have been worse.
Flames and smoke were coming from the front of the two-story structure in the 2500 block of Hanover Avenue when firefighters arrived about 6 a.m., Roanoke Fire-EMS Capt. Todd Stone said.
Two adults who live in the residence were already safely outside when crews began battling the flames, Stone said. Firefighters took about 20 minutes to contain the fire and more than an hour more to fully douse hot spots. A moped parked outside also sustained significant damage from the fire.
One woman was taken to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital for a minor injury, although she may have had a previous medical condition, Stone said.
Stone said the two occupants were awakened by a blaring smoke detector.
“It just shows the importance of why people need smoke alarms,” he said. “If not, these people could’ve perished without them.”
The fire was ruled accidental and appears to have been caused by an overloaded electrical circuit, said Roanoke Fire-EMS spokeswoman Tiffany Bradbury.
Red Cross spokeswoman Amy Whittaker said the organization is providing assistance to the displaced occupants for meals, clothing and lodging.
Weather JournalMix on Sat AM; coming blog changes