Due to the weather, some customers may experience late delivery of The Roanoke Times. We apologize for the delay.
Sunday, September 22, 2013
A fire damaged a vacant house in Salem on Saturday night.
Salem Fire & EMS Department responded to a structure fire in the 200 block of Monroe Lane about 7 p.m. Saturday, according to a release from Salem spokesman Mike Stevens. The release said heavy smoke was coming from the building when crews first got to the scene and they found a fire inside the structure and were able to contain it to one room in under 10 minutes.
The release said the building was vacant at the time of the fire and there were no injuries, but the building did have moderate smoke damage.
The fire is believed to have been started in an electrical break box and has been ruled accidental by the Salem Fire Marshal’s Office, according to the release. Damage from the fire is estimated to be $20,000.
Weather JournalMidday update: More ice likely later