Due to the weather, some customers may experience late delivery of The Roanoke Times. We apologize for the delay.
One person was treated for smoke inhalation following Sunday's fire.
Monday, May 20, 2013
One person was taken to the hospital Sunday night when a cooking fire damaged a Roanoke apartment.
According to a Roanoke Fire-EMS Department news release, crews responded to the 2300 block of Longview Avenue at 6:09 p.m. They found a fire with heavy smoke in the kitchen.
Crews contained the fire to the kitchen and controlled the fire by 6:30 p.m.
Two people were in the building when the fire started, and one was taken to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital for smoke inhalation.
No firefighters were hurt in the fire.
According to the release, the fire was caused by cooking. Roanoke crews have responded to two cooking fires in the past week, the release said, and warned residents to avoid leaving the stove unattended.
The fire caused about $5,500 in damage, according to the release.
Weather JournalSo ... WHERE is this storm?